Monday, October 6, 2008

A day at the Super Division League Bangalore

20km away from home, with hot weather on a partly sunny Saturday, I somehow managed to reach the SAI Center(South), Kengeri, Bangalore, at around 1310 hours.
My mentor, Shanmugham ji, was playing for Canara Bank in the Super Division League Match against Fortis.
The game scheduled for 1300 hrs had already begun. I must say these guys were on schedule! The score was 0-0. Although, the view on the SAI turf's sidelines is not the best of ones but still I enjoyed watching the quick movement of the players sometimes on my side, sometimes on the other flank.
All this while, I couldn't believe that there was no spectator on this side of the turf. I was the lone one and when Canara Bank scored their first goal, I could hear the echo of my clapping!
It's understandable that SAI turf is a training turf and doesn't attract crowd in anyway. Some adminsitrative reasons didn't leave the organisers (KSHA) with any other option but to host the tournament at SAI, Kengeri.
As the game progressed, and so did the heat, I recognized Ajitesh, Sandeep Micheal and our own, Diwakar Ram, playing for the Fortis.
The most enjoyable sight of Hockey players is the fact that Hockey players are representatives of common public. They are so down to earth and modest that it makes you fall in love with the whole environment itself.
For me, on this day, watching Shanmugham ji, as a player, was different. I realized that an individual on the turf and outside the ground are completely different.
During the game, while defending a short corner (read it as, drag flick from Diwakar Ram) got the a ball on his chest. He collapsed for a minute. A stroke was awarded but Shanmugham ji was struggling to stand straight. I was concerned. But things settled for the better when he has substituted.
As the half time came in, I crossed over to the other side of the turf to just see what goes on at the players benches during this break. While walking, I was greeting by a known person who asked me, with sheer surprise and unbelieveable expression, "Here, to see Shanu play?". I just said, 'Yeah'.
Next question was, 'Do you live close by?". I said, "No!"
I wondered how come Hockey fraternity doesn't believe that there are some fans who just come to watch matches!
The scene at the players bench was a little low profile. A match at 1300 hours, with sun right on the top, it looked as if the players were not only sapped off of their physical energy but mental energy as well.
Khalid ji, the coach, was not his usual high as I have seen him in previous Canara Bank matches.
Checking with Shanu ji if he is OK, I moved on back to my original position to watch the second half.
As the Bankers trailed by 1-3, and 15m into the second half, I saw some players, with their kit on their shoulders, walk to benches where I was sitting. They were hulks and they were chit chatting about normal daily life Hockey related things. It was the IOCL team. They were supposed to play against ASC (Army Service Corps). I could immediately recognize Prabhjot Singh, Inderjeet Chaddha, Bharat Chikkara, Baljit Singh, Deedara Singh, Raghunath, Vikram Kanth , physio Srikanth and the coach Devesh Chauhan.
It was a star packed team.
Seeing their built and personality, I felt so scared that I couldn't say a word. For a moment, I felt like they may tell me to get lost from the benches where I was sitting.
As they cracked jokes, I realized how warm at heart they were. One of them casually asked me, 'What the score was?'.
I said, '3-1, Fortis leads".
They dressed up and moved on for their warm up exercises but I was completely thrilled.
The national levels players didn't carry any attitude with them. I was at an arms distance from them.
They talked the way I do. They all were humans and as modest as I am, possibly. I fell in love with their personality.
Canara Bank lost to Fortis 1-4.

Later on, I met few more people whom I know by face in Hockey circles. There was an expression of indigestion on their faces that I have come to watch a Hockey match.

By this time, with IOCL in their armor were taking on ASC, the BPCL and Namdharis also arrived. At one moment, Tushar Khandekar crossed me and I was about to stop him attempting to talk to him for a minute but 1 second delay in uttering his name and he sprinted away. I was a little shy at that moment.

I talked to some children who had come down to support Namdharis'. They told that their parents work in Namdhari Seeds and they have come to support their team. It was a delight to talk to those children. I asked him with curiosity, " aap bhi Hockey khelte ho?" and came a prompt reply, 'haan ji, main under-16 ki state team mein hoon" (yes, I am in the under-16 state team).
I am surely loving the game by the day.
With a final round of Hockey talk with Shanmugham ji, I called it a day. His last line, although, not new to me, but definitely was for Mahesh, (who joined me during the game), took us by surprise. He said, "It's nice to see supporters, like you, come this far. Who comes to see a Hockey matches these days?"
I came home with a headache (because of heat) that lasted for close to 24 hours, but it was a day I enjoyed and will make sure that I will go to watch a few more matches.
I think I will sum up by this line: I am here to stay! :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ya its really stupid of people to not believe the fact that there are some die-hard fans supporting hockey n also looking forward to watch matches which dont get telecasted all the time

n its highly stupid to think that hockey or hockey players dont have any female fans
even hockey players themselves find it surprising

When i met Damandeep Singh in 2006 when he was playing for FORTIS,he actually cudnt digest the fact that i actually asked him for his autograph!!!!!!!!!!
n there are a lot of similar stories regarding this

So those of YOU'll who think there are no hockey female die hard fans

LOOK AT ME!!!!!!!!!